While Debbie and Mom were here with us during my post surgical week, Debbie made this casserole for us. I wish I had a picture of it (I was too looped on pain meds to even think about taking pictures) because it is so beautiful, not to mention delicious and healthy.
Poppy Seed Casserole
10 oz egg noodles (wheat or regular)
1 lb ground hamburger or turkey
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 C cottage cheese
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 C vanilla yogurt
1 T poppy seeds
1. Cook noodles till tender. Drain and while hot, toss with cottage cheese, cream cheese, yogurt and poppy seeds.
2. Brown meat—may add salt, pepper, and onion if desired.
3. Drain meat and stir in tomato sauce.
4. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and spread 3/4 of noodles/cheese on bottom of pan.
5. Spread 3/4 of meat mixture on top, leaving a 1-inch border.
6. Spread the rest of the noodles, leaving a border.
(Note: It’s all the borders that make this dish so pretty!)
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees covered; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
This also heats up great as a leftover.